Saturday, October 26, 2013

'PEACE' MEANING COMFORT

Sometimes I buy into the lie that every decision I make has to be enveloped in peace.

The lie that I have to be out of my comfort zone as a Believer, but not TOO far out of my comfort zone. If fear has any place in a decision, I bounce. Because that's what you are supposed to do right? You are always supposed to have peace in decision making, and you never are supposed to have fears? Peace means it's of the Lord, fear means it's not, and that seems to usually be our method of decision making as a Believer. At some point in my faith I was told that, and at some point I believed it and marked it as truth. This is the point I realize it's not.

Peace seems to be misconstrue and interpreted as comfort.
We pick the more comfortable option.  

So we base our decisions on comfort?

 

I'm beginning to question whether that whole thing even makes sense at all. How is that truth? How is that legitimate basis for decisions? What does that even look like? How does that even feel? Being conned into this mediocre life of thinking we are out of our comfort zones but yet never being too far out of it to have doubts, fears, nerves, or questions. Is that even being out of our comfort zones at all?

First of all, I have yet to read Jesus mention 'comfort zones' at all. I get the feeling that peace from comfort is a very different kind of peace then Jesus mentioned He will give to us. We can have total peace knowing we are following God's calling while having plenty of questions and nerves and fears about what we are actually doing. I've seen how God uses us in that weird tension to rely on Him and know Him deeper.

So today and from this point forward I will choose to trust God for comfort instead of relying on "safe" decisions for comfort. I will choose to lean on God instead of fix my mind on fears.