Saturday, August 31, 2013

A LESSON FROM THE WILDERNESS

"I will take care of you."

Six words that have been absolutely rocking my world these past two weeks.

In the midst of my questions, over-analyzing, and attempt to lay out my (even immediate) future and goals, God slammed me with this one. I use the term 'slammed' because it wasn't a passive, soothing voice that comforted me with these words, it was the voice of my Jesus, Yahweh, the King of Kings that holds the Universe and everything in it in the palm of His very hands. It was the voice of a protector. It was the voice of a very big God, the God that claims to be "I am," the God that isn't constrained to dimensions and proves to be limitless. It was the voice of a Father that speaks truth with love and would rather take a bullet then allow me to take one (as a matter of a fact, my God already took thorns.) It was the voice of a God that invites tax-collectors to their house for dinner and looks out for the underdogs. It was the voice of a God that has never made promises He cannot keep, so I trust He will keep this one.

He gives, He takes away. He has all the power in the world and can use it as He desires. Yet every single day He uses it to take care of His children. In ways that make sense to us, and in ways that don't.

He takes care of me
Little, undeserving, me.

"I will take care of you." It was a bold promise and a huge claim that no one on this Earth can provide as He can. These words shook my life and have been the heart of my thoughts every single day since I heard them. It has been instilling a heart of trust and reverence in ways that I haven't experienced before, my heart is growing even more intimately connected to the Lord's as I live in the truths that God's got my back.

These words gave me comfort beyond what I could write as I spent 48 hours in the wilderness by myself a few weeks ago, during a portion of the backpacking trip I did called 'solo'. The dreaded sleeping-two-nights-in-the-darkness-of-God's-creation-by-yourself was for me masked with incredible comfort, peace, and joy because of the words that God told me that day. I was reminded that indeed, yes, God always does come through. He is faithful. Faithful to comfort us when we need it. Faithful to remind us of truths when we forget them. Faithful to pick us up when we often knock ourselves down. He gives us what we need. In ways that we think we need, and in ways that only He can come up with. It blows my mind.

As fears try and trap areas of my life, as fears grip me or enslave me, this claim frees me. No matter where I am, He is there. No matter what I do with my life, I am not too far from God's grasp and as I am trying to discern and follow God's leading for my life I can trust that I will remain in it. No matter this or that, He is still God and I am still His. I never want to forget or grow to be unphased by that. I am His. I am God's daughter.

There is more power and worth in that statement then I can even grasp or comprehend.