Wednesday, May 8, 2013

PLAN A

To say that I have learned a lot in my twenty-one years of life, would be half truth and unfortunately half fiction. I haven't learned what it looks like to give up the things I cling closest to and rely fully on Jesus long-term. I haven't learned what it looks like to love a man without fear or to completely and totally trust my creator. I haven't learned how to cook raw seafood or make french toast. I haven't learned how to say 'no' without regret and burdens piling up on me. I haven't learned how to stop covering up my insecurities with cute clothing and I haven't even learned how to curl my own hair.

But I have learned one thing.

It is the simple truth I grasp onto when I feel like my words aren't doing justice, the Scripture verses I throw out there just aren't helping someone, my gifts aren't well enough received, my hugs don't comfort enough and my laugh doesn't result in their laughter too. When the constant stream of me trying to fix someone else's issues or me trying to bless another persons life is failing, or I am confused or unsure of what to do next. I resort to what always stands as PLAN A in my life:

Just show up.

The best truth that no one has ever told me, but has rather, somehow, beautifully and miraculously, been engraved into my life from the get-go. It just always made sense to me. It is my life motto of sorts.

Words will always fall short. Actions don't always fall as short. Neither does consistency. To be reliable and present in another person's life speaks louder in the end then a million encouragement notes and Starbucks gift cards... at least I believe so.

So today, friend, I encourage you to stop trying to be a certain person that you think some friend or relative or person you are influencing in life needs. You don't need to do a million things in order to change a life. The most prominent and influential people that have ever been a part of my life are the ones that consistently just show up. They may not have answers, they may not even ask the best questions, they may not make me laugh the hardest when I'm at my weakest, but they show up.

The main advice I can give to someone, that I can cling to and honestly know without a shadow of a doubt that I seek and stand firm in doing in my own life is to

BE YOURSELF.... and just show up.